The Integrated Healthcare Association (IHA) has announced the winners of its annual Excellence in Healthcare Awards, California’s top honor for provider organizations. These top-performing provider organizations have earned strong results in clinical quality, patient experience, and total cost of care. To achieve this recognition, provider organizations must perform in the top 50 percent in each of these three areas.
Only 21 of nearly 200 participating provider organizations across the state met IHA’s Excellence in Healthcare Award performance standards this year.
“We’re proud to recognize the winning provider organizations for their commitment to delivering high-quality and high-value, patient-centered care,” said Anna Lee Amarnath, MD, MPH, general manager of IHA’s Align. Measure. Perform. (AMP) Program. “Their ability to adapt and continue to address needs amid the ongoing challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic is remarkable. We recognize the dedication of all the provider organizations and applaud the winners for their achievement in providing exceptional care for Californians.”
If all participating provider organizations performed at the same level as the Excellence in Healthcare Award winners:
- An additional 19,000 California patients with diabetes would have their blood sugar controlled, helping to lower their risk of adverse health outcomes
- 618,000 more California patients would rate their overall care quality a 9 or a 10, with 10 being the highest score
- Health care savings would be about $2.9 billion a year—or approximately $289 in savings per member
The 2021 Excellence in Healthcare Award winners are:
- Arch Health Medical Group
- Axminster/Providence Medical Associates
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Group
- Dignity Health Medical Network – Santa Cruz
- Edinger Medical Group
- Facey Medical Group
- Hill Physicians Medical Group – Bay Region
- Hill Physicians Medical Group – Sacramento Region
- John Muir Health
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California Permanente Medical Group – South San Francisco Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Southern California Permanente Medical Group – Downey
- Kaiser Permanente Southern California Permanente Medical Group – Kern County
- Mercy Medical Group/Dignity Health Medical Foundation
- Mission Heritage Medical Group
- NorthBay Medical Group
- PIH Health Physicians – Group Division
- Saint John’s Physician Partners
- Sharp Community Medical Group IPA
- St. Joseph Heritage Medical Group
- UC Davis Health
- UCLA Medical Group
IHA also honored the provider organizations that demonstrated the highest year-to-year relative quality improvement from each of eight California regions.
Recipients of the Ronald P. Bangasser, MD, Memorial Award for Quality Improvement for each region are:
- Bay Area: Sutter East Bay Medical Group / Sutter East Bay Medical Foundation
- Central Coast: Sansum Clinic
- Central Valley: Bakersfield Family Medical Center / Heritage Physician Network
- Inland Empire: Riverside Medical Clinic
- Los Angeles: Pioneer Provider Network
- Orange County: Prospect Northwest Orange County Medical Group
- Sacramento: Sutter Independent Physicians
- San Diego: Mercy Physicians Medical Group
The award winners were recognized on Nov. 3 at IHA’s 2021 Virtual Stakeholders’ Conference, an annual event that featured insights and updates on IHA’s programs and a discussion on health equity.
For more information, visit www.iha.org.